Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

"Tote Bag for Plastic Free July."

Hello,

Seeing it is Plastic Free July I decided to make up a tote bag from scraps of fabric.


 There was no pattern just cut and sewed until I had a big piece of fabric for the front and back. I did some stamping on the fabric as well.


 A few machine embroidery designs were stitched onto it as well. I used up a tablecloth that came with a picnic set for the lining and sides of the bag. The inside has a piece of balsa wood instead of plastic to hold the shape, so shopping can sit on it.


This was a great project to use up bits and pieces and help the environment by not using single use plastic bags.


What are you doing for Plastic Free July?

Happy days.
Bev C

18 comments:

marina said...

great idea for the tote bag and for plastic free July,
might have to have a think about what I can do?

Wendy said...

Great idea, your tote looks perfect, nice and roomy!

Anonymous said...

hi Bev what a great idea and your bag looks fantastic,well done xx

Maria said...

Great idea Bev!

Anthea said...

Hi Bev, I've actually not heard of Plastic Free July, but it sure is a great idea. I always take a reusable bag when i shop, especially for small things... hate getting those silly little plastic bags in every shop!
Great sewing there Bev & don't make it too full & heavy for yourself

Lin said...

You can never have too many totes. Great idea to use balsa wood at the bottom. xx

Eggs In My Pocket said...

What a great idea and I love your pretty bag! You did a great job!

Melody said...

What a great idea.

Jeanette said...

Lovely idea. Love your bag. Hugs,xx

Julie said...

Thats a really lovely bag there Bev, & a great idea to use up your scrap fabrics. I had not heard of Plastic Free July but what a good idea.

Fiona said...

love the bag... I don't know about plastic free July... I am generally pretty good about taking my own bags in.... but not always!!

Hugz

Michelle Ridgway said...

Great idea Bev. I always have my squishy silk tote bag in my handbag...squishes down to nothing and handles fit the super market checkout holder. Every little bit helps xxx

Pauline said...

Great looking bag, Bev. But a bit too big for me. I wouldn't be able to lift it if it were full. :)

Terri said...

This bag is so awesome! I love the idea. Love how you put together a variety of pieces and embroidery designs. I wonder if we have such a day designated here in the US. I bet my coworkers at Nancy's Notions would love to promote something like this.

Karen S said...

What a perfect way to support Plastic free July! Great choice of embroidery motif. Your bag looks great!

Kim said...

What a great idea. I had no idea about "plastic free July"....I probably should get out more. Your bag is very cool. Love that you used different fabrics and your embroidery touch is lovely. One can never have too many totes.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Great bag Bev...I like some others have not heard of Plastic Bag Free July! I take my own bags and often buy glass over plastic. If it is plastic I always get BPA free. Wishing you a lovely day!

Nat Palaskas said...

I also trying to live plastic free life, but it's hard living a busy life too! Lovely bags Bev. Good on you - Have a love weekend - Hugs Nat