Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Friday, April 6, 2012

"Raggedy Anne and Andy left at home at Easter."

Hello,

Poor old Raggedy Anne and Andy. They are feeling rather abandoned. Left in a plastic bag for a couple of months. Lucky Easter is here and they are out of the bag.


I have been doing the stitching on some of the blocks while watching "Jam & Jerusalem" If you haven't watched this show you must. I borrowed the DVD's from the library. Seasons 1 2 and 3. English comedy at its best.


Being Good Friday means morning tea and home made hot cross buns. I made these in the bread maker late yesterday. The crosses spread a little but that doesn't matter. Glaze on the top is delicious. Russian Caravan tea in the pot. Ian had his bun with some home made Fig jam. I didn't make the jam a lady at work did.


 We have all decided not to have chocolate eggs this year. They just don't taste like they used to. I will be picking these apples instead. So much better for us and if you haven't tasted a home grown apple you are missing out.


This morning I planted some Chinese Cabbages around the edges of the Broccoli. I added lots of compost to the vegie garden last week. The yellow sprinkler is one of those ones that you can use of a water tank. It emits a gentle flow of water.


This photo gives new meaning to the saying "Feathering the Nest" I could see somthing move as I was typing up this post. Went outside to investigate and saw that it was a feather stuck halfway into a crack in the paving near the pool. Two ants were pulling the feather into the crack. One of them had a piece of purple blossom in his mouth and I notice one of my Sweet Pea seeds as well!!!

I have been awarded  the "Liebster Blog Award" from   Holly who's blog is http://knitting-monkeefan.blogspot.com.au/  Holly has several blogs,have you read them?

This award is for blogs who have less than 200 followers. I have to pass on this to 5 blogs, the hard part.

The easy part is to tell you 5 things about myself.

1. I do not eat Brussel Sprouts, is there anyone besides Ian who does????

2. I hope there are Vanilla Slices in Heaven. These would be one of my favourite foods.

3. I am currently reading "A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle, I am up to October.

4. I walk twice a day for a hour.

5. I love Cinnamon, I put it on toast in my cup of tea.

Now to the 5 blogs. I understand fully it you don't want to take the award.

Sue from Charlottes Cottage

Narelle from Pins and Whiskers

Annette from Lounging with a Latte

Margaret from Cosmos and Chrysanthemums

Vickie from Vickies Crafting


Happy Easter everyone.
Bev C



19 comments:

Melody said...

Have a wonderful Easter at Kainga. Those apples look delicious and will taste so much better because they won't have been waxed.
PS I adore brussel sprouts and get to eat them all as everyone else at home agrees with you.

Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed reading your post Bev,those ants are so funny,cant wait till we start getting apples off our trees,have a safe and happy easter Bev,oh and i love brussel sprouts,lol.xx

Simone de Klerk said...

No chocolate eggs for you? Well, the apples look very good as surrogates ;o)
Love the picture of the nest builders!
Happy Easter to you and your family!

Jeanette said...

Happy Easter. I had planned to make buns(using the bread maker) but time got away on me. :( Those apples certainly look delicious. Hugs,

Maria said...

I am sure you will enjoy your delicious apples.
No I don't like brussel sprouts but my SIL and GD2 do.
Oh no not the sweet pea seeds!!!!!

Have a Happy Easter.

Fiona said...

Is that the quilt from The Painted Quilt... I did it and I think it is one of my favourites.... I haven't bought any hot cross buns and I am in trouble with Hubz and yours look just so lovely... I bet they are much nicer than the shop ones... but I can't manage with no chocolate at easter...
Hugz

Karen said...

It's lovely to see Anne and Andy out again. They do look good.
Good luck with all the veggie planting, but with your green thumb it should go well.
Enjoy the apples.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

What a lot of things in this post Bev!!! Good that Raggedy Anne and Andy are out...I've never heard of Jam and Jerusalem...Home made buns are excellent...I ordered some gluten free ones this year...I've never made them before. Enjoy those apples...maybe you have some hand made chocolate somewhere in town...I went that way this year and they all sold out so now will have to wait until next year. I eat brussels sprouts...Happy Easter Bev xoxo

marina said...

I have wanted to make the raggedy quilt for ages but still haven't got around to it. I will enjoy seeing yours progress.
My hub likes brussel sprouts, I only eat them to be a role model (as long as they are with bacon)
Hub used to make hot cross buns but I would eat so many I beg him not to make them!
Happy easter.

Vickie said...

oh wow your stitching is gorgeous, your buns look very tasty indeed..oh home grown apples are the best..funny the things ant's take..I guess they are getting prepared for cooler weather LOL>>
oh I looove brussell sprouts..and vanilla slices better be there as ilove them very much..thanks for the award I will join in and share 5 things,cheers Vickie

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Dear Bev HAPPY EASTER to you and your family. The apples look very yummie. Fun reading about the ants. I will have to look up that British show. Sounds interesting. Hugs Judy

Sally said...

Love your red work as usual. There is something just so brilliant about red stitches. Always makes me feel good inside. Of course all stitches do... but red ones most of all.
Vanilla slices in heaven hey? Now that would be nice :)

Terriaw said...

Those hot cross buns look mouth-watering!

My stepdad eats brussel sprouts. I will eat them but I'm not that crazy about them.

Sue said...

This is a fun post Bev, thanks for the award. I'll try to do my best with it. Are you sure you don't want just a tiny bit of chocolate tomorrow?

Astrid said...

HAPPY EASTER! Those ants made me smile! :) I'm sure Raggedy Anne and Andy are happy being out of the bag. The buns look delicious and so do the apples.

Wendy said...

Your raggedy Anne and Andy blocks look lovely. Your apples look delicious as do your hot cross buns!

melanie said...

This is such a lovely post! I love Jam and Jerusalem, I watch it all the time, it is so funny! Funnily enough, I am in the Women's Guild, the organisation this series is based on, and I love it :)
Those hot cross buns look yummy, and how amazing are those ants! They have some strength. Your garden is looking very productive :)
I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
Happy Easter :) xxx

Dani - tkdchick said...

Raggedy and Andy are going to be adorable.

Wow what a sharp eye you have spotting that feather! What a great shot.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Love the quilt! Hot cross buns........so yummy! I just planted an apple tree so I am hoping for some of that home grown goodness! Sounds like those ants are high tech decorators! On your list you wrote you walk an hour 2 times a day...........that is wonderful!