We spent the weekend tidying up and spreading some Piggypost mulch around some roses in the front garden.
Some of the roses are currently blooming. Just love the perfume that the roses give off as you walk by.
Tough perennials are blooming after a long hot Summer.
We cut open the watermelon last night. It was a rather nervous moment waiting to see if it was ripe enough. It was so juicy. The melon you get in the shops is lovely but this homegrown one was delicious.
On the sewing front I sewed together some of the squares and triangles that I was looking for last week into a quilt. I classify this quilt as a freebie. It makes me wonder how many quilts I could make from the fabric that is in my sewing room. A rather scary thought actually.
Sunflowers make me happy. This is what greets you as you walk in the back gate. Took this photo very late in January. It is now drying on the stem.
I joined in Friday Night with Friends on Friday, during the morning I finished a recipe/journal book cover.
Will show the front another time. All I can say at this time that a little bit of recycling was done on the front cover.
Whilst watching the Doctor Blake Mysteries in the evening I did a little bit of stitching on a cross stitch.
It's funny how things work out sometimes. I was looking for a bag of squares and triangles that I add to every now and again when I happened upon a quilt that needed some work doing to it. The reason I stopped working on it was the middle block. The fabric was so white, far too white for my liking. The project was nearly turned into separate cushions a while back. Then I thought what would it look like if I dyed it with some tea leaves. Project saved! It doesn't look so glaring to look at the centre block now.
So after dying the centre block I made up the sheep block and the top and bottom blocks. I hadn't downloaded the bottom block so I just based my block on the original quilt which was put out by Linen Closet quilts way back in 2011 and 2012. I also tea dyed the bottom block.I also used ric-rac instead of bias cut fabric on the bottom and top row blocks.
I also added some more stitching to the basket handle. At the moment I have a heap of calico and cream homespun fabrics having a tea bath. Will make up a scrappy border with these.
Christmas time last year Lucy planted a punnet of Watermelons. These two beauties are about ready to pick with lots more coming along.
Late last month we welcomed a new baby girl to the family clan. My niece Jill gave birth to a beautiful baby girl called March Elizabeth. Congratulations Jill Dave and Beau.
The other good news is that Summer is officially over. A huge big YAY from me. Autumn is a much more livable/enjoyable season for me.
I thought I should get back to blogging. Took a little rest from it. Read lots of books instead of browsing the net. Plus I did a little sewing.
We recently celebrated our Grandson's first Birthday. It was a fun day watching Jacob delicately open his presents. Each present was different which was lucky. I am sure he would have been happy with the paper and packaging let alone the presents inside.
Back in November last year I had joined up a packet of squares that I had bought back in January 2012 from Good Sammy's. I paid $5.00 for the packet of over 600 squares which originally came from a patchwork shop in Queensland. I did have grand plans of hand quilting it for a Christmas present but unfortunately time got away from me.
I did plan to make the quilt a bit bigger but found out my fabric for the border would have to be cut up into pieces, something I didn't want so the next plan went into play. I had already cut out a few of my own squares to make it bigger so I had to un-pick a bit and with the extra squares I used a cotton reel and traced around it, put some sticky stuff on the back and threw them on the quilt. Where they landed was where they were sewn on.
I then machine quilted it on my embroidery machine. This was a huge task for me but I am so happy with the end result. The quilt measures 48 by 63 inches.
Once again I used the heart design, this time a bigger one shrunk a little to fit into the 5 by 7 inch hoop. I used Gutermann 100% cotton colour number 2833 for the thread.
The backing was some more of the Peace/Love fabric, nearly finished that fabric, it seems to go on forever.
This quilt will match this one I made back in 2012.
A total of three quilts this year have been machine quilted on my embroidery machine, super pleased with how they have turned out.
The only other sewing I have done is three pairs of PJ shorts for Jacob and two tops which are way too small. I won't be using this top pattern again.
Friday Night with Friends was held yesterday, with events like this I like to make a little project and get it done. I discovered a quick and easy pattern for a Valentine's Quilt when I followed a link from the Primitive Quilts and Projects Newsletter. I cut out the squares etc on Thursday planning to sew on Friday but the temptation was too hard to resist. I had most of it joined together and Friday saw me finish it off and start the machine quilting.
Once again I used the heart design, the small one this time.
With it being a Valentine's quilt I had to throw in a few cherries. Only a few as I only had a very limited amount of the red thread.
I used a blue fabric on the back that has pink roses and for the binding some fabric that has cherries on it.